Filming the Virunga Volcanic Mountains in Rwanda
Filming the Virunga Mountains is another great part not to miss when filming in Rwanda. There are five volcanoes that can be filmed while filming in Rwanda. They include Karisimbi, Bisoke, Gahinga, Muhabura, and Sabinyo. These give you an opportunity to film the beautiful landscape of Rwanda commonly known as the land of a thousand hills and mountains from the top of one of the volcanoes.
- Sabyinyo Volcano has an elevation of 3,645 meters above sea level. The hike up Mount Sabyinyo to its highest point takes approximately 4 hours best to start the hike in the morning. You will need to be fit for this hike given the fact the hike is worth it giving you an opportunity as well to film various primates including Golden monkeys
- Mountain Gahinga is the smallest of the Virunga Volcanoes with an elevation of 3,474 meters above sea level. The hike up Mount Gahinga to its highest point takes approximately 3-4 hours best to start the hike in the morning.
- Mountain Bisoke is located in Volcanoes National Park on the border of Rwanda and DR Congo; it rises at an elevation of 3,711 meters above sea level. The hike up Mount Bisoke Volcano to its highest point where you will have a great view of the magnificent Crater Lake takes approximately 4 hours best to start the hike in the morning.
- Mountain Muhavura has an elevation of 4,127 meters above sea level. The hike up Mount Muhavura to its highest point takes approximately 4-5 hours best to start the hike in the morning.
- Mountain Karisimbi is one of the Virunga Mountains located on the border between Rwanda and DR Congo. It has an elevation of 4,507 meters above sea level. The hike up Mount Karisimbi to its highest point takes approximately 6 hours best to start the hike in the morning.
Requirements and permissions for filming the Virunga Volcanic Mountains in Rwanda
You will need to get a filming permit for you to be allowed to film the Virunga Volcanic Mountains in Rwanda. Rwanda filming permits are issued by the Ministry of Sports and Culture. Filming permits can be secured directly by contacting this ministry however if you want less hassle then Film Fixers Uganda can assist you to do all the ground process to secure for you the Rwanda Filming permits. Filming permits in Rwanda cost $30 valid for 15 Days and $50 valid for 3 Days the permit is strictly issued by the Rwanda Academy of Language and Culture. Then for your filming equipment will also need to be cleared with customs at the Point of Entry in Rwanda. Contact us at Film crew fixers Uganda we will be able to process both the filming permissions with Local Authorities in Rwanda, Accommodation, transportation for you as well guide, and help you with clearance processes at the point of entry into Rwanda.
Rwanda Press Accreditation
After securing the Rwanda Filming permits for filming in Rwanda, all film crew members must have press Accreditation from the Rwanda Media High Council to be allowed to film the Virunga Volcanic Mountains in Rwanda. For you to get the press accreditation in Rwanda you will be required to fill in the Rwanda Press Accreditation Application Form (Which we normally send to you) with all details and then attached the following;
- Official letter requesting for accreditation addressed to the Executive Secretary
- Two colored passport size photographs
- A copy of your passport
- A copy of visa except for those who come from countries that benefit from the Rwanda Visa Waiver For example From the East African Community member states, USA, COMESA Member states among others contact us here for more details
- A copy of a press card from your country of origin
- A receipt of Payment from the Rwanda Revenue Authority
- List of Filming equipment and kits to be used during your shoot
On top of this, we will need a letter from the filming company detailing who they are, why they are filming, where they will be filming, and details of crew members on this shoot. We will attach this letter to all details provided and send them to Rwanda Media High Council for press accreditation. This takes 2-3 working days for the press accreditation cards to be ready.
For you to secure the Rwanda Press Accreditation you are required to pay as follows to Rwanda Revenue Authority depending on the length of your shoot in Rwanda;
- $30 Press Accreditation Card valid for 01 to 15 days
- $50 Press Accreditation Card valid for 15 days to 30 days
- $100 Press Accreditation Card valid for 1 to 3 months
- $200 Press Accreditation Card valid for 3 to 6 months
- $300 Press Accreditation Card valid for 6 months to 1 year
Kindly note the rates above are used as a guide and these change from time to time. Contact us here for up to date rates
Rwanda Visa Advice
You will need to purchase the tourist or Business visa for you to get into Rwanda for Filming. Many film crews prefer obtaining their visas before they come to Rwanda but visas can be obtained easily upon arrival at any entry point and in this case Kigali International Airport upon paying either USD30.00 for Tourist Visa you will be able to get it immediately. Those who come from countries that benefit from the Rwanda Visa Waiver For example From the East African Community member states, USA, COMESA Member states among others don’t need to pay for the Visa and they will be cleared upon arrival at any point of entry into Rwanda contact us here for more details.
Rwanda Vehicle Hire Services
Film Crew Fixers Uganda organizes transport for film crews depending on their interest, budget, and the nature of roads in such selected locations they are filming in Rwanda. For rough terrains, like in National Parks, we recommend Customized 4×4 Land Cruisers which costs from USD200-250 per vehicle per day with Driver/Fixer or 4×4 Safari Vans from USD200 per Van per day with driver/Fixer. For us to estimate how much it will cost in terms of fuel, we will need to look at your filming schedule to establish mileage and distance to be traveled. We also organize both charter and scheduled air transport for those that need to fly in order to reduce the number of hours.
Fixers in Rwanda to help you film the Virunga Volcanic Mountains in Rwanda
All our vehicles come with drivers who act as location fixers and most of them have been to almost all parts of Rwanda and are thus conversant with the local situations and are able to provide relevant information and fix any situation on the ground. These act as intermediaries between you and our office while on location in Rwanda.
What is the best time to film the Virunga Volcanic Mountains in Rwanda?
Filming the Virunga Volcanic Mountains in Rwanda is done throughout the year and the best time is during the months of December to February and then June to October which is always a dry season period making the shoot easy.
Why use Film crew fixers Uganda to film the Virunga Volcanic Mountains in Rwanda.
Film crew Fixers Uganda is a local fixer company, we assist filming companies and Production agencies in Uganda and East Africa as a whole we have done this for the last 8 years. We handle all fixer services required with our professional team of local fixers and driver guides. We have all relevant connections with other service providers and government agencies in Rwanda to make sure that accreditation and filming permits are processed in the shortest time possible. Contact us for details and all relevant information you would like to know to film the Virunga Volcanic Mountains in Rwanda.
OUR FIXER SERVICES
Film Crew Fixers offers Pre-Production. Production and Post production fixer services in East Africa. Such services include, filming permissions, Press Accreditation, Kit Customs Clearing, Location Scouting, transport and accommodation, visa and work permit advice, security and so much more